I have two boys, but I am a girl after all, and I know girls like to dance. Here are recommendations from the East Memphis moms for area dance programs. Studios marked with an asterisk (*) have been recommended by moms of boys.
Children’s Ballet Theater
age 2.5 – adult
- Memphis Children’s Ballet ( they have various locations).
- Children’s ballet Memphis. Love Mrs. Anna she is the best!!
- Wonderful teachers and locations all over Memphis
Roudnev Youth Ballet
Classical ballet training, pointe, jazz, modern, character dance and pre-ballet with small class sizes and personal attention for ages 3 – adult.
eStudio Performing Arts
A full-service performing arts studio offering lessons and training in dance (ballet, tap, lyrical, jazz, hip hop, musical theater), voice, acting, guitar, piano, songwriting and pageant preparation. Starting at age 3.
The Dance Academy of Bartlett*
Ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop and more. Starting at age 3
- The Dance Academy of Bartlett takes kids from one hour weekly recreation classes and transitions slowly to more serious for the kids that want that eventually.
- Love love love Dance Academy of Bartlett. Been there 6 yrs already.
ballet starting at age 2, tap starting at age 4
Miss Pat’s School of Dance
Tap, ballet, jazz and more. Starting at around age 1 (walking)
Miss Pat’s School of Dance is awesome. They offer tap, gymnastics,jazz, and ballet. Love the entire staff!
Ballet on Wheels
Cooper-Young studio plus Dance on Wheels program at various locations
starting at age 3, also adults
Creative movement, ballet, African, jazz, pointe and contemporary/ improvisation. Need based financial aid
- My daughter just finished her second year at Ballet Memphis and we love it. It is a classical ballet program and is focused in that regard. My daughter is 5 and has done Discover Dance 3 and 4 and will be in 5 in the fall. Her teacher is a former professional dancer with the ballet and really makes it fun for the girls. She has learned how to plie and several classic positions through storytelling and make-believe. She loves going each week!
- I took dance there growing up (ages 4 – 15) and loved it. Excellent teaching and a great environment, plus the opportunity to dance in Ballet Memphis shows.
New Ballet Ensemble and School*
starting at age 3, need-based scholarships available
My daughter has been with New Ballet Ensemble for 4 years and we love it! Please check out their website and read their mission. The training is incredible and the student population is diverse. You can inbox me with any questions.
Memphis Jewish Community Center*
Tap, hip hop, ballet and more. Starting at age 3
The Jewish Community Center has a fabulous dance program. My two girls have been dancing there since they were 3. Now they are entering 7th and 8th grade and program had really grown with them.
Bartlett Dance Factory
Jazz, tap, ballet, lyrical, hip hop, acro and baton for ages 3 and up
Studio B Dance*
Ballet, tap, hip hop, music theater for ages 3 and up
Essentials Dance Company
Tap, ballet, jazz and hip hop for ages 3 and up
Madison Dance Studio
hip hop (ages 6-11)
Germantown Performing Arts Center
ballet for ages 3-11
Ginny Mount School of Dance*
classes for dancers ages 3 & up. Class options include: Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Hip Hop, Pointe, Contemporary Movement, and a Performance Company for the advanced dancer.
a variety of creative movement styles for all ages including hula hoop dance, circus & flow arts, yoga, and a number of modern and world dance and movement styles
jazz, tap, ballet, lyrical, musical theatre, hip hop and pom pom, tumbling and yoga. Ages 3+
Ballet, Pointe, Jazz, Hip Hop, Tap and Contemporary/Lyrical.
Ballet, contemporary, hip hop, jazz, tap
Dance Dynamics has a boys class for ballet and tap, hip hop, jazz and tap is mixed. Located near wolfchase mall. It’s a Christian owned studio so clothing and dances are more appropriate than the “dance” norm. Been there for years
jazz, tap, and hip hop training for all levels.
Dance Academy of Bartlett*
Ballet, Pointe, Lyrical, Jazz, Tap, Hip Hop, and Tumbling.
Beth Cross Centre of Dance and Voice*
ballet, traditional jazz, lyrical, tap, hip-hop, street jazz, pointe, modern, and pom technique
Dazzle Creative Dance
Hickory Ridge Mall
walking – age 6 including a Mommy & Me class
Churches with dance programs:
According to the moms these churches have programs. If there is no link I could not find info online, so I’d recommend calling them.
- Colonial Park United Methodist
- Second Baptist
- Germantown Baptist
- Mullins Methodist
- Independence Presbyterian