We survived three renovations on our Charlotte home – the master bedroom (while I was pregnant with our first child), then kitchen (with a toddler) and the den. The company we hired for the first project was a disaster, then I found a great company. He handed me a bill once a week, with receipts and time cards attached. I paid him an hourly rate for his people, any supplies purchased, and a percentage fee on top of that. Very straightforward. They showed up every day, communicated well with me, cleaned up the work site daily (very important as we were living in the house) and completed the project within a week or two of their original estimate. It was such a great experience we hired him for three more project.
When you’re selecting a contractor, ask for references and talk with them! Make sure you’re dealing with people who will show up each day (nothing is more frustrating than a partially complete project and no one showing up to WORK) and know what they are doing. And good luck!
We have a handyman list too. Here are some contractors the moms recommend:
- Call Will at Nu Prime! 9015680488
- Will and John at Nuprime. Go ahead and get bids from others and then let Nuprime price it. You will be blown away. Drive by my house at 138 Magnolia if you want to see an example of their work–they tore off my roof and added a second story! Here is the work they did on my house.
- My husband is a master plumber and contractor and remodels kitchens all day long! Give him a call Rob Guess 901-553-1434
- We had Rob Guess do a small tile project and then a larger fireplace remodel with built-ins. He and his team did a great job. On time, good communication, honest. Highly recommended.
P Baum Company
They recently remodeled my entire house and did a phenomenal job. Lee Baum is extremely reliable and a pleasure to work with – not only does he get several quotes to get you the best rates, he also has the eye of a designer and can make great suggestions. He will work with you to make your dreams come true! We took down some walls as well and I couldn’t be happier with my gorgeous open concept home.
- David Clark he’s a good honest man and a talented builder
- I second David Clark!!
Tom Hamilton is a GREAT contractor! 901/428-7243! He was honest, fun and reliable! Would hire him again in a second!
My husband is an architect that works out of our home, when he is not being super dad! Great resource to help plan out your changes. Christopher Schmidt – 901.596.0705
The Piretti Company 901.870.7152