It’s hard to think of anything more beautiful than a family created or grown through adoption. Such a wonderful gift for everyone involved. Here’s what the moms had to say regarding local adoptions. If you’re looking for an adoption support group please see this post. Want to be a foster parent? Scroll down for those recommendations.
1.17’s primary goal is to live out the heart of Isaiah 1:17 – “Learn to do good. Seek Justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless.” We exist to create opportunities where individuals and the local church in Memphis are connected, resourced, and supported as they engage international and local adoption and foster care.
Check out 117memphis.org and contact Mo or Tona Ottinger. They’ve adopted four kids and were running the 1.17 initiative together for adoption locally.
Adoption Connection Memphis
One of the oldest social service agencies in Memphis, Adoption Connection is licensed as a child placing agency in Tennessee and Mississippi and has a reputation as a leader in adoption programs locally, statewide and nationally. Adoption Connection offers its services to all individuals regardless of race, religion, or national origin. Part of Jewish Family Service.
- We were using Jewish Family Service until I got pregnant (go figure). They do a lot of adoptions locally and work with all families (not just Jewish ones). Dont leave them off your short list!
- Jewish Family Service! WONDERFUL agency that works well with both adoptive parents and birth parents. I adopted my son directly from them and my sister adopted two throigh an agency in Utah but used them for the home study and tons of advice.
- We adopted from Adoption Connection. Had a great experience and highly recommend them!
Shelby County Department of Children’s Services
Hundreds of children are in the guardianship of the State of Tennessee. The Department can find them foster homes, group homes and other residential settings. But children need a permanent home.
Bethany Christian Services
A global nonprofit organization with local offices, caring for orphans and vulnerable children on five continents
- We adopted through Bethany Christian Services, and are getting reading to go through the process again with DCS.
- My sister has done two local adoptions, one through Jewish Family Services and one through Bethany.
Agape Child & Family Services
A Christian-based organization which provides children and families with healthy homes in the regional area through community restoration, homeless services, mentoring, foster care, adoption, maternity services and counseling.
We develop and administer programs designed to promote the welfare of children. Our focus is on assuring that children are able to live with loving parents who offer acceptance and the security of a permanent home.
We adopted locally through Hannah’s Hope
Life Choices is committed to provide a non-judgemental and Christ-like environment in order to educate and empower women to make life-affirming decisions. The vision of Life Choices is to strategically change the procurement of abortions by providing intervention, education, and support services for women and families in crisis and by raising awareness in the community as to the obstacles we face and the opportunities available in addressing pro-life issues.
Interested in being a foster parent? The moms had these recommendations:
- I recommend fostering through Shelby County DCS. You will need to complete their training course, known as PATH as well as doing personal interviews and paperwork (home study).
- We foster through DCS. There is a lot of training, paperwork, etc., but endless opportunities to help out.