Is your child interested in karate, taekwondo or some other Memphis Martial Arts? One mom was looking for a spot to take her five-year-old twins, and she got some great recommendations and advice.
I started karate as I think a 12-year-old, because my brother who was 7 at the time was going and I was interested. I took for a little over a year and made it to a yellow or orange belt (I forget) but I’m so glad I was exposed to the activity. Check out our big list of kids sports and lessons here.
Here is some advice from a parent:
As a former nationally-ranked karate kid from Memphis, here are my suggestions about kids and Memphis Martial Arts.
- Any place that allows your child to get a Black Belt in 2 years is more about making money than truly setting up a student to be a successful martial artist. We use to love competing against these types of schools, because they never stood a chance in a tournament. (I recommend a 4 year journey to Black Belt.)
- Many of the most successful martial artists started around 7-8 years old. While starting kids at 4 or 5 might seem cute, more often than not the students develop horrible “basics” that make them very sloppy competitors when they are 8-10 years old.
All of this is from a competition perspective. If that is not a concern for a parent, and there is never a desire for the student to compete outside of the school, then choosing the Memphis Martial Arts school/teacher who is best with small kids (and can keep the group disciplined) is probably the way to go. My son just turned 4. As much as he loves Ninja Turtles, I’m waiting 2-3 more years before even attempting classes somewhere.
Here are the recommendations from the moms:
Memphis Martial Arts
5101 Sanderlin Ave #124, Memphis, TN 38117
- My neighbor takes her son to Wright’s ATA in the Sanderlin Center. Her son loves him.
- Wright’s Ata Martial Arts is a great place! I 100% recommend and they will let your child come in a try it out before you commit.
- Martial arts by Fox and Hound on Sanderlin. My 5 yr old started couple month ago and loves it!
- I went to Wright’s ATA Martial Arts tonight and signed my five-year-old daughter up! They are wonderful people and the facility is amazing. The kids are disciplined and have a lot of fun! I recommend it!
- Typically basic classes for Taekwondo range from $125-$195 a month. Wrights ATA on Sanderlin is awesome! Affordable, staff loves their students! Overall great investment for all the benefits ????
- Wrights ATA on Sanderlin.
Cordova Martial Arts
1323 N Germantown Pkwy, Cordova, TN 38016
- My boys attend Cordova Martial Arts off of Macon and Houston Levee and they love it! My 8-year-old is a Red Belt level, I believe only a few more color belts to go before his black belt and I have a 6-year-old who just started. Great Tae Kwan do school!
- Cordova Martial Arts, near Houston Levee & Macon rd- They teach Taekwondo & also have Taichi
2463 Poplar Ave, Memphis, TN 38112
My friends Steven and Tara Miller own Midtown Taekwondo and are the BEST! Check them out.
Six suburban locations
- It’s in Cordova, but the USA Karate on Bonnie Lane is really good. Dale Bourie is the instructor and the kids LOVE him. He’s visited my daughter’s school, Harding Academy, and now teaches some classes there that are apart of our LEAP program.
- My daughter is 8-years old and a brown belt. She’s becoming a 2nd-degree brown belt this Friday!!
- USA Karate on Exeter has been great for my son. Instructors are great with kids.
Taekwondo Academy Bartlett (There is a currently a Groupon August 2017)
7266 3rd Rd, Bartlett, TN 38135
They are great! A husband and wife team.
3238 Players Club Cir, Memphis, TN 38125
My girls, 5 & 7 love going there with my dad. My dad and brother are both second-degree black belts and have always gone there, great instructors!
4610 Merchants Park Cir #563, Collierville, TN 38017
7853 Farmington Blvd, Germantown, TN 38138
Kim’s Martial Arts Academy/Tae Kwon Do, Judo
6166 Stage Rd, Memphis, TN 38134
Master Kim is a great teacher and has a kind heart. He is great with kids! They also teach important values to kids (and adults!).
2850 Lamb Pl #1, Memphis, TN 38118
This doesn’t exactly fit into Memphis Martial Arts, but I feel it is a kids’ activity related to martial arts. Parkour is “the activity or sport of moving rapidly through an area, typically in an urban environment, negotiating obstacles by running, jumping, and climbing”
Bartlett ATA Martial Arts
6777 Stage Rd
Bartlett Tn 38135
They are fantastic with all age groups and ability levels. My children have been involved since they were about 4 (they are 9 and 8 now) and as far as competition goes, they have and continue to do extremely well. I could go on to defend starting them young, but I’ll just say that I’m a fan!