If you want your child to learn a second language, starting in preschool is a great idea. Here are some school and programs to consider – preschool and beyond.
Several area preschools, public and private schools offer Chinese through the Confucius Institute at the University of Memphis. The Confucius Institute is a non-profit, public institute with the goal of promoting Chinese language and culture and supporting local Chinese teaching internationally through affiliated Confucius Institutes around the globe. Here is their list of partner schools – places where they teach Chinese. This includes:
- Barbara K. Lipman School – University of Memphis, age 3 thru kindergarten
- The Campus School, a public school at the University of Memphis, 1st – 5th grades
- St. Mary’s Episcopal School – PreK – 12th
- Lausanne Collegiate School – PreK-12th
- Hutchison School – PreK-12th, all girls
- St. Agnes/St. Dominic – PreK-12th
- The Bodine School, Germantown, school for dyslexic children
- Emmanuel United Methodist Kindergarten
- Foreign Language Childcare Center (FLICC) – Spanish immersion, ages 6 weeks – 5 years
- Bilingual Beginnings – Spanish classes taught at schools, churches, playgroups, etc.
- Play Go-Spanish – classes for ages 4-13. Call 901-767-2716
- Christ the King Lutheran School – preschool – 8th
- Montessori Children’s House – ages 3-6
- Mi Escuelita Bilingual Christian Academy – infants – age 4