On February 15th of this year, parents who wanted to request a transfer of their child from their zoned public school to another school within the merged Shelby County School system submitted their request online. This is separate from the process to get into an Optional School.
Originally, SCS said they would tell parents the outcome of their transfer request on April 1st. This didn’t happen. There was a lot of confusion from parents regarding when they would actually find out, with representative from Memphis City Schools and Shelby County Schools sometimes giving different dates. Parents were finally notified via mail around June 19th. You can see a complete timeline here and the policy on school transfers here.
Many parents were denied their transfer request, even when they had a high number and were confident their child would get a spot.
- Got my letter today too! But wasnt good news for my 4th grader or kk!! Looks like we will be moving!!!
- Denied to our first choice grahamwood for kindergarten and our second choice is Richland. We were 20th
- A mom waiting on a MCS/SCS General Transfer letter called and was told she is NOT in their system. She applied online in the Spring.
- I got the letter and was denied my first choice but my 2nd choice wasn’t mentioned. Anyone know why? Will there be a second letter to address the 2nd choice?
- Didn’t get our first choice (we were #2) but did get our 2nd choice (we ranked #1). The acceptance letter didn’t mention the 1st choice school at all. Hope this helps some of you waiting for a 2nd letter…not sure there would be one
Apparently there were errors in how requests for teachers were processed as SCS. On June 20th SCS posted on Facebook: “If you have completed a General Choice Transfer application for your child to attend the school at which you are employed and your application was not approved, please contact the Office of Student Services at (901)321-2560.”
If you were trying to transfer into White Station Elementary School the PTO President is strongly recommending that you CALL the principal at 416-8900. Apparently all of the WSE transfer requests were given denial letters. If you picked WSE as your 1st or 2nd choice you should check with the school ASAP!
Are you appealing a denied transfer request? Lots of parents are working on this now. Here’s what some of them had to say:
- I faxed and emailed an appeal and was told on July 2 that I would hear “probably in the next couple of weeks by phone or mail”
- I would recommend being detailed about why only that school can fill your needs- like if they have dance and your school doesn’t. Etc.
- All I’ve heard is that you should appeal! After school starts, they’ll know better the numbers at each school, so you may have luck even after school starts – good luck!
Have any other stories or tips for parents regarding General Transfers? Please share them via a comment.