Parents need to get out and do things without the kids! Whether it’s mom and dad going out on a date night, or taking a night off with girl friends (or dad out with the guys) – happy parents make good parents. Besides the typical dinner out (restaurant recommendations here) and/or a movie, there are lots of fun things to do in the area when you make your escape.
Here are some ideas from the moms:
- Seize the Clay – Every Friday night from 6–10pm is Wine & Cheese Night (BYOB). Every second Friday they have Cookertainment with Chef Jimmy Hoxie.
- Painting with a Twist – Grab some friends, bring your own bottle of wine or beverage of choice and paint along with a local artist who will show you step-by-step how to paint the featured painting for the evening. No experience necessary.
- “Pay what you can” night at Playhouse on the Square, usually one per show
- Go Paint Parties at Buckley’s Lunchbox
- There are so many great small music venues in Memphis with fantastic live music shows and cover costs from as low as $3-5. Check out Escape Alley Sundry, Center for Southern Folklore, BB Kings. You don’t have to go the Fedex Forum and pay $100 a ticket for great music.
- Charming Charlie’s has a deal where you can go in after hours with 10 friends and get 10 percent off all accessories.
- Wine Tastings at the Botanic Garden
- We people watch downtown on Main Street. We’ll either eat dessert at Westy’s (hot fudge pie a la mode) or Cheesecake Corner. Levitt Shell has some great concerts. It’s fun to check out the tiny Peanut Shoppe on Main St., too. Very random (and narrow) place with lots of history.
- Pack a picnic (including special drinks), throw pillows in the back of the minivan w/ the seats down, and chill out at the drive in theater.
- Love to go downtown late afternoon, shop and play at A. Schwab, have a drink while walking up and down Beale, hop on a trolley, walk along the river, decide where to grab a bite to eat, then a classic movie at the Orpheum.
- Date Night dance class at Cat’s Ballroom downtown.
- Take a ride on Sprock ‘n Roll Downtown or Midtown EMM Review
- Solve a puzzle: Memphis Escape Rooms or iEscaped Memphis