A mom was looking for recommendations of local resources to help her with her son, who was diagnosed with Aspergers. The responses were so helpful I thought a post on local autism resources would he helpful. As always, please comment on this post if you have anything to add.
Doctors and Specialists
Boling Center for Developmental Disabilities
711 Jefferson Avenue
- In my search for a doctor I found there is a dept at UT Boling Center that specialize in dealing with Aspergers. 448-6579.
- We have been seeing Dr. Palmer @ UT Boling for 7 years and have been happy, we have also seen Dr. Susan McChesney @ Semmes-Murphey whom we liked very much as well. I am not a fan of Dr. Vickie Brewer but many others have seen her and have been happy with the outcome and the direction she provided. For a neurologist, there are many but we see Dr. Eastmead, who specializes in developmental neurology and also treated my ex-husband for Tourettes, anxiety and OCD when he was a child. He was very knowledgeable about the avenues of help and support in the Memphis area. For a regular pediatrician that is “autism friendly” we like Dr. Joel Segal @ Laurelwood Pediatrics. Again just very impressed with the staff from front to back there.
Programs & Preschools
Transformations Autism Treatment Center
6761 Stage Rd. Bartlett
I work at Transformations Autism Treatment Center (in the bartlett area).. we provide applied behavior analysis services for individuals with autism & aspergers. it’s a really great place
7953 Stage Hills Boulevard
Jenni Helms runs the The ABA Place in Bartlett. I have only met Tracy @ Transformations once but really liked her and have a friend whose sister works there and he speaks highly of the stuff they are doing there. Kyle is high functioning and we have always taken the ABA approach and have had success with it. There are so many more avenues of resources and help out there today than there was even 5-6 years ago. Good luck on your search.
SRVS (formerly Special Kids and Families)
Play-Do-Learn Preschool (18 mo – 3 yrs) 4738 Walnut Grove
Pediatric Therapy Center 2965 N Germantown Rd, Bartlett
- Special Kids and Families has Early Intervention, Preschool and Social Skills available for children with Autism. They have a Board Certified ABA therpist on staff who can provide services in your home, at the therapy canter or at a preschool program. She sees children of all ages.
- Special Kids and Families has an excellent preschool at Independent Presbyterian Church with a 3 to 6 year old class.
711 Jefferson Ave
6560 Poplar (within MJCC)
8500 Walnut Grove (within Hope Presbyterian Preschool)
454 West Poplar Avenue (inside Collierville United Methodist)
- I have had two of my children attend The Harwood Center….downtown location. I was extremely happy with the services that they both received!…At 3 yrs old, both my children transitioned into the Shelby County School system. I was also very pleased with services that we received.
- Loved Harwood! Take the spot if you get one! All locations are wonderful–everyone I know that has ever needed them has had huge amounts of praise for Harwood.
I am a Board Certified Behavior Analyst and provide in home behavior services and write ABA therapy programs for children and adults with autism and other intellectual and developmental disabilities: Nicole Bichelman, MA, BCBA 901-240-4157 [email protected]
Holy Rosary Catholic School
Angel Program Preschool, ages 3-7
Angel Program at Holy Rosary is amazing!
S.E.E.D. (Spectrum Educational Enrichment & Development) Program, ages 3-6
Look also at Buntyn PreSchool at their program Seed it has made a world of difference for my son
Specialized Learning Center
600 S. Perkins
Tutoring to ages 5+ including ADD, Autistic and other special needs
Jewish Family Services
6560 Poplar Ave
Educate Memphis has multiple programs for children and families on the autism spectrum. We are a non-profit United Way agency serving the Memphis community. Services include: Social Skills, Individual and Group programs, After School Program, Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Parent Support, Sibling Support, ABA Therapy, Psychological testing, Emotional Intelligence, Social Groups, Liaison with schools
Janna Hacker & Associates
3180 Professional Plaza, Germantown
We have many services for children with autism. Services are provided in their office in Germantown & in many private schools: Speech therapy, Occupational therapy, ABA therapy, Social groups (hour-long sessions), Preschool Language groups (3 hours per day)
Autism Society of the Mid-South
monthly Family Support Nights (with a Lego Club and more) and other special events as well as community resources
Special Needs Moms of Memphis
A Facebook group. They try to get together once a month.
- If you’re looking for a church, Hope Church in Cordova has a great special kids program to meet other families.
- Hope Church also has a special needs classroom in Adventureland and a special needs Easter Egg Hunt every year for anyone who may need it. Also sponsors an Autism 5k Walk in September. Great church anyway but definitely has a lot to offer in the special needs dept 🙂
Lastly, try reading this article that talks about autism and sleep.