It’s time for Zoo Lights & Zoo Skating at the Memphis Zoo! It’s exciting to be at the zoo when it’s dark outside!
|There are lots of great photo op places – if you can
get your kids to cooperate!
This special event goes through December 30th (January 5th for skating) and costs $6/member (kids under 2 are free) and $8/non-member. Parts of the zoo have large light displays and lights strung overhead (other areas are off limits). A few areas play Christmas music. The skating rink is open during Zoo Lights, and also open some days.
Included in Admission:
- Zoo Lights
- Magic Mr. Nick Illusion shows
- Animal Encounters
- Tram rides
- Singing Christmas trees
- North Pole Express Train rides
- Children’s activities at the Farm Expo Building
- Carousel rides (China area)
- Animal exhibits – Animals of the Night, the Herpetarium, the Farm and the Aquarium are all open, plus live reindeer near Northwest Passage
- Playground (well lit)
Bring Extra Money:
- Camel rides
- Ice skating, pay by the hour (and skate rental, you cannot be on the ice without skates, watching is free)
- Hot chocolate and s’mores (and other food and beverages)
- Ferris wheel rides
- Gift Shop (it’s open, 10% discount for members!)
There is an additional fee to skate, but you can watch the skaters in the rink for free, which we found pretty amusing. Growing up in the Northeast we had lots of ponds available for after-school skating. It was pretty obvious that this was not the case with these skaters! The rink, and the area around it including Teton Trek were full of people, including lots of teenagers (who were very well behaved). That part of the zoo felt a bit like a big outdoor party.
Friday & Saturday nights November 22 – December 28
Additional nights during Thanksgiving and Christmas
Zoo on Ice
nighttime during Zoo Lights plus daytime skating all days except Christmas Eve
nights January 2-4