Memphis has a new sprayground – yippee!! This one is part of the awesome Heart of the Park updates at Shelby Farms Park. The Water Play sprayground is 4,000 square feet and includes a water tunnel and lots of spray jets (as a comparison, H2Oh! Splash Park at CMOM is 7,700 square feet).
Water Play is located near the new Visitors Center, off Walnut Grove Road. It is open to kids ages 2-10. This area is fenced off and you pay for a 50-minute session, which starts on the hour.
Friday afternoons are free to Tennessee residents from 1-6pm, otherwise for kids it’s $4.50 for members and $5 for non-members (learn about park membership here). Adults are $2.50, and if your child is aged 2-4 you’re required to purchase a wristband and go inside the fence with them. You have to fill out a registration form (including drivers license number) before you can enter. If your child is 5-10 you can pay and go in or stay outside the fence. There are benches in spots nearby, but not many. Visit the Hyde Lake Boat House to purchase wristbands.
This is a great new place for little ones to play!!
Other things to be aware of:
- Children who are not potty trained must wear a swim diaper
- There are a few dry places to stash your stuff, but no lockers
- No balls, toys, pets, food, drink, smoking or glass containers
- No running
- For free Tennessee Friday Afternoons (1-6pm) you need a valid ID, last entry is 5pm and each resident (parent/guardian age 17+) may accompany up to 3 children.
- The nearest bathrooms are at the Visitors Center, which are a long walk for a toddler
- Entry is on the hour, and there is nothing else in the area to keep your kids entertained while they wait, so don’t arrive too early!
Water Play Sprayground
Shelby Farms Park
September 2016 Hours (last session begins 1 hr before closing):
- Fridays through September 23rd 1pm-6pm | free admission for Tennessee residents
- Saturdays & Sundays through September 25th: 10am-6pm