Ever taken the kids to a place like Pump It Up and thought: “why do they get to have all the fun?” Let’s face it, being an adult can be a drag. Kids are carefree and have more energy than they know what to do with. We have responsibilities and taking care of the kids can easily wear you out before noon.
Now there is a place in Memphis you can go to run and jump like you were a kid again. It’s called Sky Zone, and it’s an indoor trampoline park. This is a franchise owned by a lovely East Memphis mom and her husband who have been working really hard over the past few months to get this awesome place open.
|the largest trampoline area|
Located almost in Olive Branch, Sky Zone is basically a big warehouse outfitted with six separate areas. Each area has multiple trampolines on the floor, separated by foam pads, and more at an angle going up the wall. Four areas are for jumping (separated so they can host birthday parties and exercise classes, and one small area is for kids 6 and under), one has a foam pit at the end you can jump into, and the fifth has two basketball nets (one low, one high) so you can live out your slam dunk fantasy.
|the foam pit area|
|Sitting area with birthday party rooms on the left, basketball area straight ahead.|
You purchase a block of time to jump, which includes shoes (basically high-top sneakers), and you get a sticker with your start and end time on it. Employees explain the rules (one person per trampoline is the big one) and they you’re off! If you don’t want to jump there is plenty of space (and benches) to sit and watch. Bring a camera…cell phone cameras only capture blurs!
Employees are stationed at every jump area and make sure everyone (even adults) is following the rules and being safe. There are bathrooms, water fountains, food (chips, pretzels, crackers, granola bars, candy) and beverages for sale (no outside food or drink allowed), shelves for your coats and shoes and lockers for your valuables. There are also birthday party rooms.
Here are my tips:
- Kids 3 and up…you could bring a younger child but it won’t be much fun for you in my opinion. My 3 1/2 year old was fine to jump on his own without me having to hover.
- Fill out the waivers online before you go, it felt like it took forever doing it while my kids waited
- If you are going at a popular time purchase your time block online before you go, there is a capacity limit for safety reasons.
- Either buy a long block of time and take a break in the middle, or play hard and rest when your time is up. We didn’t quite last an hour, but after a short break both boys (older one is 8) wanted to jump some more.
- Dress for exercise. My heart rate went up quickly and I was sweating. Sports bra and stretchy pants are both necessary! You’ll need a pocket for your locker key, and try not to bring anything else. I had to jump with my iPhone in my hand as it kept flying out of my pocket!
- Bring water bottles and fill them up for the ride home! It was about a 25 minute ride for us, so the kids were thankful for the water as they were worn out.
- Do your kegals. Enough said.
Sky Zone Memphis
5355 Distriplex Farms Drive, Suite 102
Memphis, TN 38141